Sunday, September 29, 2013

Speck and Onion Brussels

Last week I went to a cooking class with chefs Andrew Ticer and Michael Hudman- writers of Collards and Carbonara. They are two guys from Memphis who use southern ingredients and infuse Italian hints in their dishes. I learned how to spruce up brussels sprouts with speck (Italian bacon). The guys make this recipe with a chili tomato jam, but I decided to leave this out for my meal because it was a tad too spicy.  The one ingredient that I feel makes this recipe have a special kick is the use of lime. I also learned how to fry brussels sprouts, which I had never done before. Instructions are below.Enjoy my new fall favorite side! Serves 4





Ingredients
1 lb brussels sprouts
1/2 yellow onion, diced
juice from one lime
4 slices speck, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste


To prepare the brussels, cut bottoms off and slowly peel away leaves
When the sprout gets hard to peel, cut remaining piece into quarters
This will allow the leaves and remaining piece to cook semi evenly

In a pan, saute speck over medium heat until fat is rendered (about 4 minutes)
Remove speck and add in onions and cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes
About half way through cooking the onions, add the lime juice
Return speck to the pan

In a large pan, heat oil over high heat
Add brussels sprouts and stir for about 6 minutes or until crispy
Add more oil if needed half way through

Combine sprouts with speck and onion mixture
Toss with salt and pepper

Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment