Friday, March 15, 2013

Beef with Brussels

Do you love Beef with Broccoli? This recipe is very similar with a healthy and less questionable ingredient twist. In the past two months, I have seen three variations of a recipe for stir fry beef with brussels sprouts. Because this idea seemed to be so popular, I decided to combine and fine tune a few recipes to create the perfect dish. I made this for my boyfriend before going out to a girls dinner and I ended up eating so much of it that I could hardly eat at the restaurant. I am not a red meat lover, but I found myself sneaking beef to "taste test" constantly (Sorry C!) I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Serves 2

Ingredients
1/2 lb of flank steak
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp peanut oil, divided into two
1 cup gluten-free beef broth
2 tbsp light brown sugar
4 tbsp soy sauce
juice from one small lime
2 tbsp corn starch
12 oz fresh brussels sprouts, cleaned and halved
1 jalapeno pepper sliced (I just used 1/4 cup chopped canned peppers)
1 tbsp grated ginger- fresh
1 clove garlic, diced
8 mint leaves
Cooked rice

Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan on high
Cut steak into thin strips, equally sized
Rub with salt and pepper and place in the pan
Flip over with tongs after about a minute
Cook for 2-3 minutes total, then remove and put on a plate
Use a paper towel to carefully clean out juices

Heat other tbsp of oil on medium high
Add Brussels and stir around for two minutes, until browned lightly
Sprinkle in garlic and peppers

Meanwhile whisk soy sauce, lime, broth, and corn starch in a small bowl
Pour over Brussels
Stir for 5 minutes
Add steak back, along with fresh mint

Put rice in a bowl and pour the yumminess over it

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment