Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Short Rib Pasta

While being "hurricaned in" (note: Charlottesville over reacted just a little bit by giving us two days off) I have been cooking up a storm! I have been ordering short ribs a lot lately at one of my new favorite restaurants in Cville. I decided it was time to make them myself. I have seen short ribs served over mashed potatoes or in a stew, but I wanted to try them over pasta. (To make this recipe gluten free- serve with mashed potatoes or with gluten-free pasta). This was my first time making this dish and it was super easy! Serves 2

Ingredients

2 lb beef short ribs, bone removed (called a jersey cut, feel free to do this bone in)
3 tbsp rub spices*
*equal parts paprika, salt, pepper, sugar, basil, marjoram, thyme, and rosemary
1 cup mushrooms
1/2 cup frozen pearled onions, thawed
2 cup red wine
13/4 cup water
3/4 cup beef broth
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp sour cream
1/4 cup chopped parsley
pasta

Preheat oven to 325F
Rub both sides of beef with spices
In a dutch oven, heat on medium 1 tbsp olive oil
Braise the beef by browning on each side for about 3 minutes
remove with tongs
Pour out all but about 3 tbsp liquid
Add onions and mushrooms
Stir with a fork scraping the bottom
Add garlic and stir for one minute
Add 1/2 cup wine and allow to reduce to about 2 tbsp
Place beef back in the pot
Add broth, water, and remaining wine
Bring to a simmer
Cover and place in the oven for 2-2.5 hours
Flip beef over every 40 minutes with tongs

Meanwhile cook pasta

When beef is tender (falls off the fork), take the dutch oven out and remove the meat
Shred it and place it ontop of the pasta
Add 1 tbsp sour cream to the liquid
Stir and pour over the pasta
Sprinkle with parsley

Enjoy









1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to try making short ribs! I always order it but have never made it myself, will definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete