Thursday, October 11, 2012

1 Year Anniversary! Beet Salad

I cannot believe that a year ago I started this blog! It has encouraged me to cook up many dinners, invent new appetizers, and realize how fun cooking can be! Thank you for following on as I hope to continue to blog more recipes! This year has been crazy with finishing grad school and starting to teach preK special ed.
This week I made a beet salad from simple ingredients that I'll share! I didn't know that I liked beets until I roasted them! The only complaint that I have is the fact that your sink/hands will look like a crime scene from all the juice! Make sure to slice and peel over the sink.  Serves 4

Ingredients
2 medium sized beets, rinsed with tops and bottoms cut off
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
salad fixings (I used spinach, blue cheese, and walnuts)

Preheat oven to 357 F
In a large piece of foil, wrap beets that have been coated with 1 tbsp oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper
Wrap foil to make sure the beets are covered and sealed
Place in oven for 1 hour (could be more or less depending on the size of the beets)
When a fork can go into the beets easily, they are done
Allow to cool, then peel over the sink
Collect the juices and place in a glass dish (should be about 1/4 cup, if not add some water)
Slice beets and toss with salad
Combine the other tbsp of oil with the juice,and sprinkle with salt and pepper
Whisk then pour over the salad




Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment