Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Potato Smothered Salmon

I haven't done very many fish recipes because in NYC fish is very expensive! So while in Charlottesville, VA I decided to utilize low prices on Wild Salmon :) This recipe is simple and only calls for 5 ingredients! (also, mashed potato recipe below)
Note: I'm a fish snob...after touring a few fish farms, I came to the conclusion that I will only eat WILD fish. If you like farm-raised, please feel free to do so for this recipe. It costs a lot less per lb and is  perfectly fine! 
One tip from my father... Never buy fish on a Sunday. It isn't fresh because fishermen do not sell on Sundays and most markets try to get rid of the past week's fish. Good to know!
Serves 2

Ingredients
1/2 lb Salmon Fillet, deboned
2 cups mashed potatoes, either made from scratch* or pre-made
2 tbps extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

(simple!!!)

Preheat oven to 400F
On a baking pan, sprinkle half of the olive oil
Place salmon skin-side down on pan
Sprinkle with salt and pepper
Top with mashed potatoes
Cook for 10 minutes, or until salmon is cooked to preferred doneness


(I prefer medium, which took my filet 15 minutes, but different filets have different cooking times)

*Home-made mashed potatoes
8 red potatoes, cleaned but not peeled
salt+pepper
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tbps butter
Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes, mash, mix everything :)

2 comments:

  1. Maybe I could just eat the potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont worry, Friday's meal is not only gluten-free but vegetarian! stay tuned

    ReplyDelete